Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Red Velvet Cupcakes



This is my first attempt at cupcakes. My daughter has been asking me to make some for months. I was rather intrigued by the Red Velvet cake, so I decided to combine both. Most Red Velvet recipes call for food coloring, which I wasn't very keen on, so I used beets and beet juice. As you will see, I didn't use enough of it. The batter had a beautiful dark pink color. However once cooked, it turned to a rather brownish color. I was a bit disappointed. Next time I will use more beet juice!

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (sifted)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup beet juice and 1/4 cup beet puree
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk

Frosting
1/3 cup icing sugar sifted
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
Dash vanilla (or your favorite flavor)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F;
  2. Combine the dry ingredients together in a bowl: flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda. Put aside.
  3. In a second bowl beat the butter and sugar with a mixer until fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time still beating, then the vanilla and the beets. You should have a very nice color.
  5. Add the dry ingredients then the buttermilk and mix until combined.
  6. Line up a muffin pan with paper liners. Scoop the batter into the liners.
  7. Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  8. Let them cool completely on a rack before putting any frosting.
  9. Look at the nice color they have:

  10. To Make Frosting: whip the cream and sugar just until stiff peaks form.
  11. Decorate the cooled cupcakes with the cream and sprinkles.


No comments:

Post a Comment