Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Quince Jam and Marmalade


Quince are very rare to find in Montreal and when they are, usually they are expensive. It's basically more cost effective to buy already made jam. But, once a year I like to make homemade jam, marmalade or paste. I have already posted the recipe for quince paste last year.

In this recipe I am using 2/3 of the sugar called for in the original recipe. Two reasons for that: first I know it will not last (sugar acts as a preservative, so a high sugar jam will last longer) and second I am trying to cut the amount of sugar we eat for health reasons.



I used the same proportions for both jam and marmalade. Once the fruit was cooked, I blended half in Marmalade and left the other half in pieces.


Ingredients
6 small quinces (around 2.2 lb)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups water
1 lemon juice

Directions
  1. Combine the water and lemon juice in a large pot.
  2. Peel and cut the quince in small pieces and place directly in the pot.
  3. Add sugar and bring to a boil (the quince should be covered with water). Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring from time to time, until the fruit is soft, about 40 minutes.
  4. Blend the quince, if desired, and pour it still hot into sterilized jars.

Note: I left half of the quince in pieces and blended the other half.

No comments:

Post a Comment